Posts Tagged ‘Human Foot Anatomy’
In this article I will talk about human foot anatomy and physiology. Read through these points to review some facts about the human feet. Here are 10 key points that you should know about the anatomy of the human foot:
1. The foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 or 20 muscles. The number of muscles depends on if you consider the extensor hallucis brevis an individual muscle or not.
2. The parts of the human feet can be categorized into three groups; the forefoot, the midfoot and the hindfoot.
3. The toes and its long bones are a part of the forefoot.
4. The heel bone and ankle makes the hindfoot.
5. The midfoot has 5 bones, these are 3 cuneiform bones, the cuboid and the navicular bone.
6. The biggest muscles in the foot are the anterior tibial, posterior tibial, peroneal tibial, the extensors and the flexors.
7. The Achilles tendon is the strongest and biggest tendon in the foot.
8. The largest bone in the foot is the calcaneus, also known as the heel bone.
9. The total amount of sweat glands in each foot is around 125.000.
10. This may not be much of a key point when it comes to human foot anatomy, but the adult males average foot length is around 26,3 centimeters or 10,35 inches, while an adult females average foot length is around 24 centimeters or 9,45 inches.
In this article I’ve given a quick list of some of the key points of the human foot anatomy.
To learn all about human foot anatomy and human anatomy and physiology in general you definitely should check out this amazing website: http://www.humananatomyedge.info.